1 pounds link sweet Italian sausage
1 pound meaty lamb neck bone, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 recipe meatballs (see recipe)
1 recipe Braciole (see recipe)
1 large onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, pressed
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tablespoons basil, chopped
6 teaspoons sugar
3 28 ounce cans plum tomatoes
3 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
1 can filled with water
1. Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Lightly salt the lamb neck bones. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Add the neck bones to the pot, sear them on all sides until golden brown. Remove the neck bones and set aside. Add the sausage links to the pan, sear them on all sides and then remove and set aside. Sear the Braciole in the pot as well. Once seared on all sides, remove from the pot.
2. Build the sauce in the stockpot. First add in the onions to sauté for a few minutes. Then the garlic, basil and oregano, add in the cans of tomatoes, water and sugar. Allow the sauce to come to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add back all of the seared meats, as well as the meatballs.
3. Allow sauce to simmer 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally and making sure nothing is scorching on the bottom of the pot. When done to your taste, with tongs, remove all meats to a platter. Stir sauce and reduce if necessary. Taste and correct for salt, if needed.
4. Slice the sausage into serving portions. Remove string from braciole and slice into portions. Leave neck bone to pick through for those who wish to do so.
5. Serve sauce with cooked pasta and grated cheese. Offer platter of meatballs and sliced meats.